Monday, July 20, 2009

Love Ole Miss at the First Sight

My first impression about the States is kindness of people. I met a lady named Karen on the plane from Chicago to Memphis, who was very talkative and was also a nice listener. I asked how the pets could get on board. She said she didn’t know, but she immediately went to ask others and told me the answer. Thanks to my poor English, I failed to catch the answer but was so impressed by Karen’s friendliness. It was late at night when we arrived Memphis, so I couldn’t see anything outside on the road to Oxford except lights and stars. It was a starry night, stars were clear and shining, they looked at me with a big smile,”Welcome to Mississippi!”
Students slept late at Saturday nights. I saw friends gathering in the lobby and some just came back with friends. Anny the Laos, Zoloo the Mongolian, and I arrived at the same time. Meci, a black girl, was very nice to help us settle in. After checking in the dorm I went downstairs to meet the resident assistance at the desk for more information. A guy called Frazier was there with a university policeman. After greeting I was told that I’d better stay in my dorm building at night, but if I really had some emergency to do outside, I could call the police office to give me a ride to the dorm. It sounded good and considerable enough. I went on asking him about life matters. Frazier told me almost everything. He even took about 15m to explain how to get to Wal-mart to me. At last, he brought me to the vending machine to buy me 2 bars of cookies and said WELCOME.
The next day I got up a little earlier than I had been expected. It was morning, the trees’ reflecting sunbeam, shining green was most attractive. Some squirrels get down under the tree to feed themselves. Trees and animals, they represent much about the nature. And I really love it.
Due to the air-conditioner was not desirably comfortable for me, I wanted to go to Wal-mart for a comforter to get through the cold night. But at that time, everything seems to be closed including the school store, the O.U.T bus line. I made a decision to call Frazier, even he may be not available by now. Fortunately he was able to drive us there and left an important student from a summer school called Tray. Tray was a very nice guy, too. He asked what we would buy and explained and helped us choose the products. It would be so much help. I was half-illiterary on reading on brands, and without his help, I might have got lost in the vast sea of products. What surprised me was that Tray helped us write an e-mail to someone who was in charge of air-conditioner to settle the problem, and, it has been settled the next day!
Today is Monday and the intensive English classes began. We talked to our international advisor Nalson first at the office to do some regular procedure. It was amazing that the crews were so friendly and humorous, that the documents were laid in order just as everything seemed to be right on the way to be settled down. The office were in a relaxed style but efficient. The stereotype of laziness and looseness were eliminated immediately. I think the Americans should be proud of their efficiency.
Anny was sick with the time difference and she couldn’t go out to eat at the cafeteria with me. I intended to bring dinner for her but was told I couldn’t swipe my card twice during a meal time. I met Frazier again. He wrote a note asking the desk receptionist to order pizza for her. I mentioned that the American students kept a habit of meeting people after meal. I had been introduced to Frazier’s friends. I really enjoy the friendly atmosphere here.
I love Meci when she calls me Jude, I love her when she hugs me and kisses me, I love the cleaner Clolinda when she stopped her work to talk with me, I love the lady in Wal-mart who I didn’t know when she tried to catch up with me just to say “how are you” in a smile, I love all the smiles I have received on the road. Life is great.
I’ve been here for two days and I already love Ole Miss. I wish I’d stay longer with all these people.

No comments:

Post a Comment