Thursday, July 30, 2009

Mainly we perceive a culture by its people before we study seriously in it. And furthermore, we turn to look at its people to improve if the conception of the culture is correct.

I suppose people look at me like “that is the Chinese way” or “that is not a Chinese way that I have ever expected”. Some people are strict as to say it to me, some are not, but I see the invisible lines. As one day a friend of mine said, “Hey, Jude, you’re so outgoing, unlike any Chinese guy I’ve ever seen before”. I judge how American culture likes in my view to the people, too. I mean, it’s a human nature to do so, perceiving another culture from its people. People in it are the most apparent evidence of their culture. I have such kind of experience to illustrate it.

I’m a person who can be evolved into a new culture very quickly. But I didn’t realize it until I met some Chinese guys on the campus, who are more reserved who will talk little and who will reveal names or personal information of little importance to you at cost of yours first. I arrived here for almost two weeks and I’m quite used to the habits here, like greeting by smiling, hug or kiss. They’re kind of tacit actions last for less than a second. But some Chinese guys I meet here walk on the way as if there’s nobody beside. They won’t make eye contact with any pass-by because we don’t do this in China. Let alone hug and kiss. Usually I’ll start the conversation, but people talk in a shy and distant manner like “how dare you talk to strange people? And what’s worse, you’re a girl, how dare you be so open?” Even though I’m a Chinese like they are.

My point is, since those shy guys are most seen here, people may perceive Chinese culture to be reserved and shy. When I met the 1st one, I thought he was wired. But when they all react to me in this way, a question raised in my mind. Am I exceptional in my culture? Is that how my culture looks like? I realized that I seldom did greeting to strangers when I was in China. I do so here because I’ve been conformed to native culture here, though I’m not doing this on purpose. I have to commit that there’s a sense of distance in Chinese culture. That’s the way I gain concept of my culture. Because I’m not typical of Chinese people, I assume I can see Chinese culture as a foreigner from this aspect.


Culture is never a good boy. It keeps changing. It doesn’t have a list showing every type of people in it. It varies when viewed by different people from different groups. Not every single person agrees the definition of their own, nor every single person likes what is regarded widely what their culture is like. To contacting every possible person in the culture if we really want to know it is maybe the shortcut to get to know the culture as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment